AKT collaborates with a wide range of healthcare providers, including hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, mental health hospitals, primary and specialty physician practices, nursing homes, home healthcare providers and laboratories, to help them survive and thrive in the rapidly evolving healthcare value chain. We help clients develop and implement unique solutions that respond to challenges emerging from a marketplace impacted by shifting demographics (rising demand of the aging population), increasing “retailization” of healthcare, reimbursement / constrained budget pressure, ongoing vertical integration and consolidation, and a changing regulatory environment.
In this period of unprecedented change, providers are looking to us to help address many questions, of which the most frequent include:
- In the face of reform agendas and reimbursement pressure, how should we re-engineer our service offerings and business models to be most successful? For providers in the U.S., how can we successfully evolve our capabilities, care models and value proposition to accept bundled payments and other risk-based reimbursement? How do we best navigate the rapidly changing payer environment? Should we develop payer capabilities, participate in exchanges, etc.?
- With increasing patient financial responsibility from HSAs and increased co-payments, how should we enhance our patient value proposition and sales and marketing efforts?
- What services and capabilities should we outsource or partner to obtain? With whom should we partner and how should we structure an agreement with aligned incentives?
- In Europe, how will commissioning of healthcare services evolve in the light of reform agendas, and what business models will be most successful?
- Should private sector businesses assume management responsibility for public facilities with risk transfer?
Examples of Our Work
To learn more about how we help clients create value, please refer to these additional case examples:
- For the leading integrated system, AKT led a multi-regional, multi-functional cost optimization project management office effort to catalog existing improvement initiatives, identify incremental improvement opportunities, and validate and prioritize initiatives. Successful implementation yielded ~$2 billion of run rate operating profit improvement.
- Developed five-year strategic plan and action plan of prioritized initiatives and operational priorities for a leading home health company, including comprehensive market assessment, development of discrete service offerings to address customer segments, and evaluation of partnership opportunities.
- Codified, documented, and quantified the value contribution for each component of an integrated payer-provider’s innovative, frail-and-elderly, Medicare healthcare delivery model to facilitate market expansion.
- Completed a strategic review of the impact of Italian healthcare reform on the provision of clinic- and hospital-based private diagnostic imagery services.
- Activated a growth strategy for a provider of dental services that included strategic segmentation, change management program and M&A targeting.
- Conducted a global strategic review of development potential for a diagnostic services provider, incorporating country-level growth analysis in mainstream and emerging markets.